Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Evolution of The Football Video Game


Madden Football 2012 was released on Tuesday with Cleveland Browns  RB Peyton Hillis on the cover.  Take a look at how far football video games have come from the beginning of the electronic age.

 The 1st version of this hand held Mattel Football game kind of sucked because you couldn't throw the football or go backwards.  In the 2nd version (green plastic version) these glaring ommissions were fixed and it was hours of enjoyment.

 The original football game for the Atari 2600.  This game sucked. I can't think of 1 redeeming quality.

The Texas Instruments Football game taught me more about in game strategy than my parents could when I was 6 years old.   This game was fantastic and I remember your team name would light up all over the screen when you scored a TD.

I never had an Intellivision, so I can't say I ever played this game.  From what I gather, it was pretty solid.


 Ditto: Never played this one.

This was the best football game Atari had to offer.  It was very fun to play against another opponent though the computer was not all that challenging.
10 Yard Fight was a really fun arcade game to pile quarters into, but it was a little to slow moving on the NES.

This game got murdered at the box office by both Tecmo Bowl and John Elway Quarterback.  The playability was awful despite having all the NFL teams and logos.

The best part of the original Madden computer game was the ability to create your own team from scratch including names and abilities.  You could also draw up your own plays and run them during the game.

To me, this is still the gold standard for "Arcade" style gaming. It gave us such unstoppable forces as "Video" Bo Jackson, "Video" Lawrence Taylor, and "Video" Deion Sanders. It also let you run the "Run and Shoot" offense with the Oilers.



The commericials totally sucked me into buying this one at the time.  The game play was not as good as Madden, but the commentary was an interesting twist.

Madden 94 allowed you to impale your opponent and have them taken off the field via ambulance.

Gameday was the 1st NFL game released for the 1st Playstation. If I remember correctly, I just waited for Madden to be released on the PS1 rather than buying this game.



NFL Blitz was never as much fun as it's basketball ancestor NBA Jam.

 I can't say I remember too much about Madden 2005.  I have it, but don't remember much about it.
This is the last version of Madden that I currently own.  I can't say that I've picked it up in over two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment